Senior Transportation Program
Office For the Aging Transportation Guidelines
Office for the Aging arranges rides for persons 60 and older. VOLUNTEERS provide the rides and are reimbursed by the Office for the Aging. Contributions of at least $4.00/ride are suggested. Do not give money to the volunteer. Send it to the Office for the Aging, 6085 Route 19N, Belmont, NY 14813.
Transportation is available for:
- Medical Appointments (but not Medicaid clients)
- Grocery Shopping (Limit 4/mo)
- Office for the Aging Luncheon Centers/Functions
- Support Groups/Counseling
Rides are for local appointments, or to specialists in Olean, Hornell, Dansville or Warsaw. If ride is to other areas, some volunteers hire privately. Arrangements are made by client who pays volunteer directly.
To Arrange a Ride
- At least TWO BUSINESS DAYS before you need the ride, call the Office for the Aging (585)268-9390 or toll-free 1-866-268-9390.
- Client must call OFA to set up the ride, or driver will not be reimbursed for the ride.
- Medical rides are arranged, as needed.
- Grocery Shopping rides are limited to 4 times a month.
- Clients must be able to walk by themselves, or need minimal assistance (no wheelchairs).
- Seatbelts must be worn while riding in volunteersâ€™ vehicles.
- Clients canâ€™t take pets in volunteersâ€™ cars; and must keep pets under control in clientâ€™s home when volunteer picks up client.
- No smoking is allowed in volunteer vehicles, unless volunteer permits it. Do not ask volunteer to stop for smoke breaks during the ride. If you wish to smoke, do so before you enter the vehicle or after you reach your destination.
- Drivers only take clients to places set up through the Office for the Aging. (NO EXTRAS after client is picked up by driver the day of the ride.)
- Rides are not guaranteed, but are arranged, as volunteers are available.
If for any reason, you canâ€™t go on the ride you set up with the OFA, you must call our office and cancel the ride. If ride is not cancelled, it is counted as part of monthly total of rides you received.
Local Towns' Transportation
Houghton and Fillmore area Senior Citizens can call the Houghton Community Van (585-567-2264) for rides to the Fillmore Senior Luncheon Center. Donations are encouraged and gratefully accepted.
To Become a Volunteer Driver
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer driver for the Office for the Aging please contact Lynn at 585-268-9390 for more information.